Monday 16 March 2015

OUGD502: Logo - Further changes


There has been something annoying me about my logo for a while now, and after not editing it for a while I decided to experiment with more variations of the design to see if altering it slightly would improve the whole symbol. Above shows added strokes to make the mark bolder which I like, however feedback from peers has made me doubt my own choice.  They agree with each other that the lighter stroke weight is more suitable for my personal brand, as well as being easier to reproduce in terms of screen printing, for example, where smaller areas of negative space may become unclear and merge together so the design will be less crisp.  This is an unwanted effect, and after exploring several more variations I've decided I agree that the original line weight is more appropriate.

I also played around with the composition of the logo, by moving the tail of the ampersand up so it touches the same baseline across the whole glyph (below left, top row).  It instantly makes the design tighter and have more qualities of a stamp rather than a loose, open mark.  I also tried moving the baseline (and bottom half of ampersand) down slightly to see whether the spacing was a problem, but this only led me to revert back to the tighter composition.  Experiments with colour led me to discard these choices and stick to black for the primary logo.





Update: late March


I have redrawn my logo and kept the raw hand drawn qualities rather than the altered vectorised version above. I feel this represents my practice far more than the previous version, and I am more comfortable with this design. Below are my sketches leading up to the final choice for the logo - I've kept the same concept just stuck with an original drawing. I scanned the initial drawing after choosing the best version and used image trace to maintain the uneven edges and mark of the pen. I was then able to make the logo fit with my chosen colour scheme of greys and a deep burgundy.










No comments:

Post a Comment